Have you ever started a project and realized you needed another element or two, but the stamps you have on hand are in a different style from your focal image? That’s what happened as I was working on my mermaid card for the Imagine blog.
I had the background (Joy Clair) and the mermaid (Santoro) stamped and ready to go, but she needed some supporting elements. I was concerned, at first, that the underwater elements from another set (Waffle Flower) would look too different since the outlines were thicker and, overall, less delicately rendered.
But I soldiered on, just the same, and it turned out not to be a problem. I think the fact that all my stamping was done in the same ink (VersaFine Clair, Warm Breeze) helped quite a bit to unify the different stamp styles. Also, I used the exact same colors on the seaweed, coral, and shells as I had on the mermaid (a mix of pastel Memento Markers), even though it meant some non-traditional colors and shading. The consistent color palette definitely helped blend the entire piece together and the result is a very fun card that I am more than a little pleased with!
For my final Imagine project for July we were challenged to create something with the theme “wet” and I just had to use my Little Mermaid monkey stamps from Waffle Flower. I played up the wet aspect with a generous helping of Shimmer Goosebumps spray and a three-dimensional splash curling around the die cut circle.
Make sure to head over to the Imagine blog to see how this card came together and watch this space, I’ve got a massive card video coming soon!
First, I really want to share about the journal I made for this year’s art journal project, and now that it’s been shared over on the Imagine blog, I can!
It’s a fairly simple and straightforward Coptic-stitch book with chipboard covers that I decorated with torn craft paper and an old map page. The full supply list is available on the Imagine blog (Creative Journals for Creative People). Of course, I’d be completely remiss if I didn’t mention that the supplies and directions for a similar book can be found in the Bound & Determined kit from The Crafty Branch.
While I’d love to be able to make time during the week to work on it, I’m realistic enough to know that it’s most likely going to be on weekends, so the first weekend’s page was completed on Sunday, the 8th:
And, even better, I filmed the making of this page and have the edited, voice-overed, and much sped up (it went from an hour of real time to less than 10 minutes in the video) version over on my YouTube channel right now!
Todd helped me set up a new filming rig before I started this page. It still needs some tweaks but I think, overall, it’s going to make the videos look a lot better and make it much easier for me to film process videos of all sorts of projects. If anyone’s curious, let me know and I’ll be happy to post about how we cobbled together an overhead rig for far less than anything that I could find pre-made and that didn’t involve a lot of heavy lifting in the tool department.